The 1970s is one of my favorite decades of inspiration, so when I spotted this brown faux fur shearling coat, which gave off an instant 1970s vibe, I knew I needed it in my life! I love how it looks like a typical shearling coat from the 1970s, but it is actually a modern, faux fur version. Love!
I wore this outfit the other day to meet my friend Dawn for lunch at Lazy Dog in Cupertino. It is a really yummy restaurant with a seasonal, fresh menu. It was fun to chat with my friend and enjoy a good meal! We also had a chance to chat about New York Fashion Week, which we will be attending together in February. So stay tuned for our crazy antics! haha
This coat might be good to wear in New York for fashion week. I would say it offers medium warmth; which works really well with our Northern California climate. For New York, I would need to wear more than a tee underneath! In the meantime, I am going to enjoy wearing this coat over jeans and a tee; which is perfect for our winter weather here in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Shop my brown faux shearling coat outfit:
Which decade, or decades, do you enjoy finding your style inspiration? Are you a 1970s girl like me?
Disclaimer: I broke my own cardinal fashion rule; never wear red and green together because you will look like a Christmas tree! Ugh! So, what did I do on the morning I planned to meet my friend Dawn for breakfast at Santana Row? I pinned my green vintage brooch to my coat and threw it over a red turtleneck. What was I thinking???
When I looked at these photos a few days later, I took a deep breath. I look like a Christmas tree, but somehow, it’s OK since it is the Christmas/Holiday season! Any other time of year, and I would go for a clear stone brooch with this outfit. Now that my looong explanation of my red and green together is done, let’s chat about this brooch!
This brooch was my Mothers’. Around the turn of the century, I was in a huge brooch mood. My Mom, who loves jewelry, had a fabulous collection of brooches from the 1960s that she bought when they were all the rage. I raided her stash, and she gave me two of her brooches! I couldn’t believe it. I was so grateful! She never got back into the brooch look, so she is happy the two I took are getting some use.
I love vintage jewelry and accessories. I also have a few vintage clothing pieces which I am too afraid to wear. If something were to happen to them, how would I replace them? It would be impossible! At least with accessories and jewelry they are easy to clean and keep nice.
This brooch is my favorite vintage brooch from my Mom’s collection. Its’ stones are crystal clear, and they sparkle so much! The green is a beautiful hue, and I love the design. My daughters love it too; someday they will be able to split the vintage brooch collection, and I am thrilled that they appreciate vintage and understand how special it is in the world of fashion.
Shop my winter outfit:
Shop modern brooches which can pass for vintage:
Are you into anything vintage? If so, what types of clothing and/or accessories?
OK, deep breath . . . the royal wedding is THIS weekend! Eeeeeeeeek! I’m so excited to see an American marry a royal! Don’t they make the cutest couple?
The world has been obsessing with Meghan’s style ever since the engagement was announced. Everything she wears turns into an instant IT item and flies off store shelves! I love that Meghan Markle has a timeless and chic way of dressing. It makes me want to steal her style. Do you feel that way too?
Although her clothing is beautiful, my lifestyle is much too casual for me to attempt to wear her outfits. But, if you are casual like me, we can carry her handbags, wear her nail polish, and own a similar yoga mat as Meghan! She has a large collection of handbags, but I picked out a few which really emulate her style, and translate well for those of us here on the American side of the pond. So, without further ado, here are a few ways to steal Meghan Markles style:
1) Charcoal yoga mat: Meghan Markle has been spotted numerous times with her charcoal yoga mat. To look like Meghan going to yoga, you need to carry one too. Although, once she ties the knot, it is uncertain if we will see her freely coming and going from yoga classes. Perhaps she will have private yoga sessions at her new castle! -wherever in England that may be!
2) Pale or naked nails: Sorry colorful nail polish fans! The Queen has strict rules when it comes to nail polish. Nails need to be either naked, or painted in clear nail polish, or something close to a pale nude. Meghan Markle will have to adhere to these nail polish rules, therefore, she will have pale or naked nails.
3) Three-stone engagement ring: Meghan’s beautiful engagement ring features the classic three-stone diamond setting. The diamond in the middle is the largest, flanked on either side by smaller stones. Steal her ring style by finding a cushion-cut, three-stone ring with the diamonds set in yellow gold.
4) Chloe Pixie: Meghan Markle wore this bag to Christmas with the royal family, and she has it in her closet. You can carry the same IT bag as Meghan; which happens to fit into all the current summer handbag trends. Love that!
5) Saint Laurent Sac du Jour: Meghan Markle has a dark blue Saint Laurent Sac du Jour she has been spotted carrying around town. You can emulate the soon-to-be-royal’s handbag style by toting your own Sac du Jour to the office, to meetings, and any time you need a tote!
6) Altuzarra handbag: Meghan has been spotted carrying a black Altuzarra Braided handbag in smooth leather. This is a chic satchel with a shoulder strap which is big on style. It’s a cult classic, and so very chic!
7) Gucci Dionysus evening clutch: This has been a hot IT bag for several years now. Meghan has been spotted wearing a fabulous black velvet Gucci Dionysus clutch when donning formal attire. This is a beautiful classic clutch we can all use in our wardrobes.
8) Everlane tote in cognac: Meghan Markle has been spotted numerous times with this affordable, daytime tote bag priced under $200. It offers a chic silhouette with timeless styling. Since it’s so affordable, we can all steal her style by owning this tote!
Shop Meghan Markle handbags and accessories:
There are many additional ways we can steal Meghan’s style, but these are a few easy ones we can adapt to ASAP. Now raise your hand if you are super excited to watch her wedding this weekend on TV! My hand is waaaaaay up! After all, haven’t we all, at one time in our lives, dreamed of being royal? She is living every little girls dream. I’m excited for our soon-to-be-royal American icon!
What do you think of Meghan Markle’s style? Are you excited for the wedding too?