pictured: A Detacher runway for fall 2018 at NYFW
It’s that time of year again! Although the temperatures are soaring into the 90’s on an almost daily basis, the stores are beginning to stock fall merchandise. Our closets are almost full of summer clothing and accessories; but the stores are starting to look a lot like the weather has cooled off, and pumpkin spice latte’s are being served. Can someone pass me a cooler fan? Ugh!
Despite the fact that we are sweltering in this summer heat, we need to shift our shopping minds to the fall season. The first thing we all need to do before we buy anything for fall, is to shop our closets. Now, you might be wondering, how do I shop my closet for fall 2018? Well, let me break that down for you.
Step one of how to shop your closet for fall 2018:
The first thing you will want to do is remove anything from your closet that doesn’t fit anymore, is damaged, or you haven’t worn in a few years; and anything you just aren’t in love with anymore. Anything that doesn’t fit, but is in new or gently used condition, can be resold. For designer pieces, look to TheRealReal. For other items, check out ThreadUp. If you have damaged clothing, please recycle them. I wrote about how to recycle clothing here. All other items can be donated to your favorite charity.
Step two of how to shop your closet for fall 2018:
The next thing you will want to do, in order to shop your closet for fall 2018, is to pull forward pieces which are on trend for the fall 2018 season. Here are the hot trends to look for in your closet:
1) Handbags: Keep any circle bags and small box bags you have in your closet. These handbags will continue to be hot for the fall 2018 season. They were all over the NYFW runways for the fall and winter seasons, so you know they will stay in style through early 2019-at least. If you don’t own a small box bag or a circle bag, this is something to invest in for the fall season.
2) Colors: The big colors for the fall 2018 include yellow, green, blue, and shades of purple. Black will be the big neutral hue as well as white. Keep your white shoes from last year too! They are going to be on fire for fall!
3) Volume sleeves: The big sleeve trend is going nowhere fast. The fall 2018 runways were covered with big shoulders, big sleeves, and tons of volume. Keep your fun sleeves and rock them with pride this fall 2018 season.
4) Trench Coats: OK, I know I have talked about trench coats making a big comeback-well here it is! They were the IT coat on the fall runways, so dust off your classic trench coat, or your not-so-classic trench coat, and rock it this fall. Trench coats are the ultimate cover-up when temperatures dip this autumn season.
5) Menswear plaid: The menswear trend will stick around for fall 2018. While it won’t be the number one trend of the season, menswear pieces will still be extremely relevant for the fall season. Keep your blazers, trousers, shirts, and dresses. Rock all your conservative menswear plaid; it’s hot for fall.
6) Metallic shoes: Metallic shoes are sticking around for another season. While they may not be available in the early fall sales, they were all over the runways for the fall 2018 season. So wear your metallic shoes from last year and watch for new styles to hit store shelves later in September.
7) Cozy teddy coats: The teddy coat trend was huge last year, and it shows no sign of stopping for the fall 2018 season. Keep your teddy coats from last year and rock them this year. If you don’t have one from last year, this is something to invest in for fall 2018. They are super soft, cozy, and fun! Love that!
8) Moto jackets: The moto jacket slips in and out of style every few years. For fall 2018, it is slipping into style! Dust off your old moto jacket from the back of your closet and rock it this fall. If you don’t have one yet, there are several cute ones for fall 2018 in the upcoming Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. I will highlight the cutest ones at the best prices from the sale later this week. If you prefer vegan, you can find this fabulous vegan moto jacket online now for under $100. I bought it last week. <blushes>
9) Fall Florals: Florals for fall have been an ongoing trend for the past few years. Keep rocking your fall florals for fall 2018! They are being shown on skirts, blouses, and dresses. Look for black, green, and yellow floral patterns for fall and top off the look with a moto jacket. Love it!
10) Fanny Packs aka Belt Bags: Ugh, I don’t encourage this trend, and to be frank, I wish it stayed in the 80’s. Although I prefer to avoid them, they are still proving to be hot for fall 2018. So, if you must, keep rocking your fanny pack/belt bag.
Last step of how to shop your closet fall 2018:
Store everything else from last fall. New trends will appear as the season gears up and celebrities are spotted on the streets wearing something obscure from the runways; or not from the runways at all. Plus, as you know, everything old is new again at some point; so store your clothing and accessories appropriately! If you don’t pull them out for fall 2018, you may pull them out next year, or the year after.
If you are wondering how to store a handbag, check out my tips here.
Things your closet might need for fall 2018:
Now that you have successfully shopped your closet for fall 2018, and saved a ton of money, you can make a list of what is missing in your wardrobe. Stay tuned for my fall 2018 shopping strategy post which will help you make a short list of what to buy for fall 2018!
Thanks for stopping by!