It seems every season we are seeking the current IT bag of the moment. While there are many IT bags on the market, there are always classic handbags out there which catch our eyes.
What is a classic handbag? To understand this, we need to ask ourselves what makes one handbag more classic than another handbag? A classic handbag is one which withstands the test of time. Timeless handbags have stood on the IT bag pedestal, and when another IT bag du jour stepped into the limelight, the previous IT bag never faltered; it never became cliché.
The reason I have titled this article “Top 10 classic handbags right now,” instead of saying “all time,” is because this list will change very year, or every few years. There are always new IT bags emerging in the fashion world which will eventually fall into obscurity, or rise to classis status.
There are several IT bags on the market right now which are hot for the moment. They may, or may not, become classics over time. To see the hottest bags on the street right now, visit my post here. For classic handbags, read on!
Without further adieu, here are the top 10 classic handbags right now.
- Hermes Birkin or Kelly: Groundbreaking right? You already knew this one! The Birkin and the Kelly have sleek lines and they are customizable in different sizes, colors, and fabrications. There is nothing gimmicky about the styling. The silhouette is chic and timeless, making it a classic handbag.
- Givenchy Antigona: Say whaaaat? Oh yes, this is the perfect example of a recent IT bag turned classic IT bag. The Givenchy Antigona has slid into the closet staple category; everyone feels the need to own at least one. It has a classic doctor bag silhouette and is offered in mini, small, medium and large sizes as well as several colors, and different fabrications. This is must-have for the modern age.
- Chanel Classic Flap or 2.55 shoulder bag: Yes, yes, a thousand times yes! Every handbag fan out there needs at least one in her closet. The classic flap and the 2.55 come in mini, small, medium, and jumbo versions. All sizes are hot, all colors enviable, and all fabrications lust worthy.
- Chanel Boy bag. Another example of a recent, modern IT bag turned classic. This bag has an edgy slant to it, surprising many when it became an instant hit. Since Chanel keeps reinventing this now-classic style every season, it is one of the most sought-after handbags of all time. Invest in at least one. It is the ultimate classic, casual shoulder bag to own.
- Chloe Marcie satchel: This casual, closet staple has held IT bag status for over a decade. The popular colors include black, beige, and caramel. This is a great everyday bag Chloe Girls love to own! It has an unique design which is slightly boho. The bag is easy to use and extremely durable, making it the IT bag for everyday.
- Gucci Boston Bag: This is a classic duffle satchel. It has been around fooooor-eva! The Gucci Boston is an everyday bag which is quite casual. It has a roomy interior making it great for girls who like to tote a lot of things around. Vintage versions can be found for well under $1000, making it a budget-wise purchase from the pre-loved market.
- Stella McCartney Falabella Tote: This vegan handbag is loved by celebrities and comes in small or large sizes. The Falabella is also available in many different colors making it a fun, everyday bag. The smaller versions can be worn for dressier occasions; not formal, just dressy.
- Balenciaga City Tote: The City Tote put handbag zippers and tassels on the map. This soft and scrunchy bag is roomy and practical, making it a go-to everyday bag on casual days. Balenciaga introduces it in new colors every season creating a market of superfans who collect the bag in every color imaginable. The most popular color among handbag lovers is Anthracite.
- Louis Vuitton Neverfull tote: This might be one of the most recognizable totes on the planet. The plain, simple design of the Neverfull has made it an easy go-to tote for Fashionistas everywhere. Almost everyone has it in their closet. It is a go-to when traveling, beach-bound, and the like.
- Chloe Drew: This chic, 1970s inspired shoulder bag has a very of-the-moment saddle bag silhouette, yet it has proven to withstand the test of fleeting IT bag status. The Chloe Drew is extremely sought after, and continues to sell well in every color, fabrication, and unique style Chloe has thrown to market. This is most the modern of the current, classic IT bags.
What do you think of the handbags that made the list? Any surprises or bags you felt were missing? Data for this list was compiled through social media post frequency, natural observation throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, and online popularity. I worked on collecting data for this list over the course of six months, I hope you enjoy it! Feel free to comment below, I would love to hear what you have observed where you live too!
Thanks for stopping by
You own the best handbags, Cathy!
I hope you had a very merry Christmas! Wishing you healthy & much happiness in 2017!
These are all so pretty! I really love the Givenchy Antigona, Chloe Drew, and Chloe Marcie!!