What a beautiful week-end! We decided it was time to venture to the coast for the first time since the lock-down. Temperatures were forecasted to hit well over 90 degrees, so the coast sounded like the perfect escape. Well, we did escape from the heat! It was in the 50’s along the coast, and the wind was very strong! My hat blew off several times, and we found ourselves bundled up on the beach instead of soaking in the rays. haha That’s life on Bay Area beaches!
Despite the crazy wind, and the cold air, we tried walking a bit, and also just relaxing on the beach while bundled up. We also enjoyed a little picnic we hiked in with us. It was a fun time with family while relaxing with the sound of the waves.
People were coming onto the beach, and only lasting about a half hour before leaving. The wind was pretty strong, so most families decided to not stick it out. In the era of social distancing, this worked out really well for us since we had a large space between us and the other beach-goers. If you can gut out cold wind, it’s a great way to have the beach to yourself! Instant social distancing! haha
My trusty adidas sweatshirt kept me warm so I could chill on the sand. While my hat kept blowing off head, it did it’s job of keeping the sun off my face. That’s all I can ask, right? I had an easy walk on the beach in espadrille slides, and my flip flops were great for testing the water. This straw tote bag was perfect for carrying my purse essentials as well as a book, hand sanitizer, and Clorox wipes. Loved it!
All in all, it was a fun beach day! If you are looking to head out to the beach, and are unsure of how social distancing will work, San Mateo County has great practices in place to ensure people stay apart. They have signage on all the paths, and the ranger reminds people to stay apart and wear a mask. People were really good at maintaining a distance, and everyone was wearing a mask. Love my fellow Bay Area people!
Tips for going to the beach in the covid era:
- Go early and avoid holidays. Try to schedule your beach day when crowds will not be going. Holidays and weekends are the most crowded. If you can snag a day off during the week, do it!
- Bring a back-up mask. Just in case your mask gets too sandy, or it gets wet, have a spare mask on hand.
- Bring your detox kit! Bring your own hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, and hand cleaning wipes. Try to use the bathroom at home before you head out to the beach to avoid needing to use the public restroom.
- Respect the space of others. If you arrive when the parking lot is near capacity, the beach might be crowded. Try to make your space away from other people. Just because you want a great view of the water, doesn’t mean you should risk social distancing. Stay at least six feet, if not more, away from other groups on the beach.
- Have fun! The beach is an affordable and beautiful way to enjoy the day. Find your space, and stay safe. You will have a blast!
My beach essentials online:
Have you ventured out to the beach since the lockdown? What was your experience?
Thanks for stopping by!