London Fashion Week for fall/winter 2013/2014 has come to an end, leaving the fashion world with new trends from across the pond to ponder. While New York designers favored bold prints and color combinations, London designers were more somber for fall with their color palettes; yet equally bold with a mixture of prints, patterns and unconventional silhouettes.
Here are the top trends from London Fashion Week for fall/winter 2013/2014 which graced the runways over the past week:
1) Mixed Animal Prints: While animal prints are a mainstay for fall, London designers have decided to mix together animal prints for a fresh take on a common trend for the upcoming cool weather season. Look for zebra tops mixed with leopard print pants and more. This trend is for both men and women! Meow!
2) Rocker Chic: This trend is going nowhere fast! Designers and consumers love studs, spikes and grommets. Keep, and continue to buy, this trend for fall 2013; and as I said before, make sure you have the appropriate tunes on your playlists
3) Burgundy: Perhaps this is not news to most Fashionistas, but with the rash of Cobalt Blue on the New York Fashion Week runways, and Emerald green being the color of 2013, it is important to note the key color from the London runways was Burgundy; also referred to as Oxblood.
4) Mixed Neutrals: The neutral color palette trend is continuing from spring. Designers mixed together varying shades of brown, beige and tan to create warm and cozy looks for the cold weather.
5) Prints: This trend was hot for spring/summer 2013 and is continuing to be hot for fall. Look for more florals, painterly designs, mod patterns, ethereal prints and more.
6) Loafer Pumps: A classic shoe style which fades in and out of fashion every few years, the Loafer Pump was favored by designers in London. Look for varying heel heights for fall as well as traditional, flat loafers.
7) Exaggerated Shoulders: New York designers dared to place shoulder pads on the runways for fall, London designers took the large shoulder a bit farther and showed sculpted shoulders, puffy shoulders and of course, shoulder pads! Let’s see how the street reacts to this fashion redo from the 1980’s.
8) Stripes: Stripes have been huge for spring and this trend is continuing into fall. Look for stripes from English designers which are horizontal, vertical and diagonal.
9) Soft Fabrics: Whether a design was structured or casual, London designers favored soft, flowing fabrications for the fall/winter 2013/2014 season.
10) Satchels: The satchel dominated the runways as the “IT” handbag for fall 2013 in London. Designers showed both soft and stiff fabrications on their satchels for the fall/winter 2013/2014 season. This classic handbag was shown not only in solid colors but in mixed animal prints, stripes and prints.
There you have it! The top ten trends from the London Fashion Week runways for fall/winter 2013/2014. It should be interesting to see what Milan and Paris will bring!